A bridge was necessary to carry the railroad over Ellicott City’s Main Street (known as the Baltimore & Frederick Turnpike and the National Road). The B&O opted for a granite viaduct that it named the Oliver Viaduct after director Robert Oliver. The B&O laid the cornerstone for the Oliver Viaduct on July 4, 1829 and completed the Oliver Viaduct by August of 1830. It had three stone arches, each fourteen feet wide and twenty feet high. One arch crossed the Tiber River, and two crossed the Turnpike. The railroad replaced the Viaduct’s arches that crossed Main Street in 1868 and widened them again from 1928-1931.